Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International <p style="text-align: justify;"><strong>Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International (ISSN: 2456-9119)</strong> is dedicated to publish high quality papers (<a href="">Click here for Types of paper</a>) in all areas of pharmaceutical Science including pharmaceutical drugs, community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, compounding pharmacy, consultant pharmacy, internet pharmacy, veterinary pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, military pharmacy, pharmacy informatics, pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, pharmacognosy, pharmacotherapy, pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, clinical pharmacology, neuropharmacology, psychopharmacology, pharmacogenetics, pharmacogenomics, pharmacoepidemiology, toxicology, theoretical pharmacology, posology, pharmacognosy, behavioral pharmacology, environmental pharmacology, medicine development and safety testing, drug legislation and safety, pharmaceutical microbiology, pharmaceutical molecular biology, pharmaceutical biotechnology. By not excluding papers based on novelty, this journal facilitates the research and wishes to publish papers as long as they are technically correct and scientifically motivated. The journal also encourages the submission of useful reports of negative results. This is a quality controlled, OPEN peer-reviewed, open-access INTERNATIONAL journal.</p> <p style="text-align: justify;">We are happy to announce that we are now a signatory and a proud member of <a href=""><strong>SDG Publishers Compact</strong></a>, an initiative by the United Nations.</p> en-US (Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International) (Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International) Sat, 18 May 2024 07:44:39 +0000 OJS 60 Drug Utilization Evaluation of Antidepressant Prescribing Practice in a Psychiatric Outpatient Hospital: A Prospective Cross-Sectional Study <p><strong>Background:</strong> One of the main causes of morbidity is psychiatric disorders, which are becoming a burden to public health. The therapeutic choices are influenced by several factors, including treatment paradigms, safety, and costs that determine outcomes.</p> <p><strong>Aim:</strong> We carried out the drug utilization evaluation (DUE) of antidepressants in patients visiting the psychiatry outpatient department.&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Study Design:</strong> An observational, prospective, and cross-sectional study.</p> <p>Place and Duration of Study: Department of Psychiatry, Jaya Krishna Hospital, Hanamkonda, TS, between September 2021 to April 2022.</p> <p><strong>Methodology:</strong> We included patients who visited the psychiatric outpatient hospital, were clinically diagnosed, and received any antidepressants for the long term. The relevant data collected from the information resources was systematically analyzed for DUE.</p> <p><strong>Results:</strong> Among 417 patients, the majority were in the age group of 31-40 (33.3%) years, and the most affected were female (57.3%), married (73.4%), and housewives (29.5%). Depression (37.6%) was the most commonly diagnosed psychiatric disorder. Of these prescriptions, 5.3% were monotherapy, the remaining was polytherapy (94.7%), and the majority of them had three drugs (36.2%). The average number of drugs per encounter was 3.4, drugs prescribed by generic names were 41.4%, injectable drugs prescribed were 2.6%, and drugs listed in the National List of Essential Medicines were 61.3%. Of all, 88.7% of prescriptions had at least one antidepressant, predominantly SSRIs, and fluoxetine (23.0%) was the most commonly prescribed. Benzodiazepines (59.7%) were the most frequently prescribed concomitant drug class and clonazepam (50.6%) was the most widely prescribed. Suicidal thoughts (5.8%) were the most commonly observed ADR.</p> <p><strong>Conclusion:</strong> The study observed a pattern of polytherapy, mainly antidepressants from the SSRIs, notably fluoxetine mostly prescribed, and suicidal thoughts were the frequent ADR. Drug use surveillance studies, rationalizing therapeutic choices, and proper patient counseling would improve therapeutic outcomes by minimizing side effects and ADRs.</p> Vaishnavi Uppula, Tejasri Nitturi, Satyanarayana SV Padi, Jagadeesh Babu Bandari, Manjula Puluru Copyright (c) 2024 Author(s). The licensee is the journal publisher. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. Sat, 18 May 2024 00:00:00 +0000