Awareness among the Public and Pharmacists on Storage Media for Avulsed Tooth and the Availability of the Same in Pharmacies of a Metropolitan City in India - A Survey
Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International,
It's always important to save and preserve the natural tooth rather than fix a replacement for it. The aim of the study was to assess the awareness of transport media for avulsed teeth among public and pharmacists, and the availability of the same in pharmacies in a metropolitan city in India. Two separate structured questionnaires consisting of demographic details, and questions to assess the knowledge and attitude of the general public and the pharmacies were distributed. From the study it was elicited that the awareness among the general public as well as the pharmacists regarding transport media for avulsed teeth is inadequate. In most of the pharmacies the transport media for avulsed teeth was not available and the awareness among the pharmacists regarding the same was found to be inadequate.Within the limits of the study, it was found that inadequate availability and lack of awareness regarding transport media for avulsed teeth was noticed.
- Dental trauma
- storage media
- tooth avulsion
How to Cite
2. Flores MT, Andersson L, Andreasen JO, Bakland LK, Malmgren B, Barnett F, et al., International association of dental traumatology. Guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries. II. Avulsion of permanent teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2007;23:130–6.
3. Blomlöf L. Milk, Saliva. As possible storage media for traumatically exarticulated teeth prior to replantation. Swed Dent J Suppl. 1981;8:1–26.
4. Layug ML, Barrett EJ, Kenny DJ. Interim storage of avulsed permanent teeth. J Can Dent Assoc. 1998;64:357–63,365–9.
5. Poi WR, Sonoda CK, Martins CM, Melo ME, Pellizzer EP, De Mendonça MR, et al., Storage media for avulsed teeth: A literature review. Braz Dent J. 2013;24:437–45.
6. Jain D, Dasar PL, Nagarajappa S. Natural products as storage media for avulsed tooth. Saudi Endodontic Journal. 2015;5:107.
7. Khinda VIS, Kaur G, Brar GS, Kallar S, Khurana H. Clinical and practical implications of storage media used for tooth avulsion. International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2017;10:158.
8. Udoye CI, Jafarzadeh H, Abbott PV. Transport media for avulsed teeth: A review. AustEndod J. 2012;38:129–36.
9. Ravikumar DNS, Ramakrishna M, Sharna N, Robindro W. Evaluation of McNamara’s analysis in South Indian (Tamil Nadu) children between 8-12 years of age using lateral cephalograms. J Oral BiolCraniofac Res. 2019;9:193–7.
10. Ravikumar D, Gurunathan D, Gayathri R, Priya V, Geetha RV. DNA profiling of Streptococcus mutans in children with and without black tooth stains: A polymerase chain reaction analysis. Dent Res J. 2018;15:334.
11. Ravikumar D, Jeevanandan G, Subramanian EMG. Evaluation of knowledge among general dentists in treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth: A cross-sectional questionnaire study. Eur J Dent. 2017;11:232–7.
12. Ravindra V, Rekha V, Annamalai S, Sharmin D, Norouzi-Baghkomeh P. A comparative evaluation between dermatoglyphic patterns and different terminal planes in primary dentition. J ClinExp Dent. 2018;10:1149–54.
13. Ravindra V, Rekha CV, Annamalai S, Sharmin DD, Norouzi-Baghkomeh P. A comparative evaluation between cheiloscopic patterns and the permanent molar relationships to predict the future malocclusions. J ClinExp Dent. 2019;11:553–7.
14. Govindaraju L, Jeevanandan G, Subramanian EMG. Comparison of quality of obturation and instrumentation time using hand files and two rotary file systems in primary molars: A single-blinded randomized controlled trial. Eur J Dent. 2017;11:376–9.
15. Govindaraju L, Jeevanandan G, Subramanian EMG. Knowledge and practice of rotary instrumentation in primary teeth among indian dentists: A questionnaire survey. J Int Oral Health. 2017;9:45.
16. Nair M, Jeevanandan G, Vignesh R, Emg S. Comparative evaluation of post-operative pain after pulpectomy with k-files, kedo-s files and mtwo files in deciduous molars -A randomized clinical trial. BDS. 2018;21:411.
17. Jeevanandan G, Ganesh S, Arthilakshmi. Kedo file system for root canal preparation in primary teeth. Indian J Dent Res. 2019;30:622–4.
18. Panchal V, Jeevanandan G, Subramanian E. Comparison of instrumentation time and obturation quality between hand K-file, H-files, and rotary Kedo-S in root canal treatment of primary teeth: A randomized controlled trial. J Indian SocPedodPrev Dent. 2019;37:75–9.
19. Subramanyam D, Gurunathan D, Gaayathri R, Vishnu Priya V. Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries. Eur J Dent. 2018;12:67–70.
20. Vignesh R, Sharmin D, Rekha CV, Annamalai S, Baghkomeh PN. Management of Complicated crown-root fracture by extra-oral fragment reattachment and intentional reimplantation with 2 years review. ContempClin Dent. 2019;10:397–401.
21. Ramadurai N, Gurunathan D, Samuel AV, Subramanian E, Rodrigues SJL. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: Randomized controlled trial. Clin Oral Investig. 2019;23:3543–50.
22. Panchal V, Gurunathan D, Shanmugaavel AK. Smartphone application as an aid in determination of caries risk and prevention: A pilot study. Eur J Dent. 2017;11:469–74.
23. Panchal V, Jeevanandan G, Subramanian EMG. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2019;20:467–72.
24. Jeevanandan G, Govindaraju L. Clinical comparison of Kedo-Spaediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: A double blinded randomised clinical trial. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2018;19:273–8.
25. Samuel SR, Acharya S, Rao JC. School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial. J Public Health Dent. 2020;80:51–60.
26. Ramakrishnan M, Dhanalakshmi R, Subramanian EMG. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J. 2019;31:165–72.
27. Vishnu Prasad S, Kumar M, Ramakrishnan M, Ravikumar D. Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India. Spec Care Dentist. 2018;38:58–9.
28. Al-Asfour A, Andersson L, Al-Jame Q. School teachers’ knowledge of tooth avulsion and dental first aid before and after receiving information about avulsed teeth and replantation. Dent Traumatol. 2008;24:43–9.
29. Shamarao S, Jain J, Ajagannanavar SL, Haridas R, Tikare S, Kalappa AA. Knowledge and attitude regarding management of tooth avulsion injuries among school teachers in rural India. J Int SocPrev Community Dent. 2014;4:44–8.
30. Chandukutty D, Peedikayil FC, Premkumar CT, Narasimhan D, Jose D. Awareness of Dental Trauma Management among School Teachers of Kannur, Kerala, India. J ClinDiagn Res. 2017;11:8–12.
31. Shashikiran ND, Reddy VVS, Nagaveni NB. Knowledge and attitude of 2,000 parents (urban and rural - 1,000 each) with regard to avulsed permanent incisors and their emergency management, in and around Davangere. J Indian SocPedodPrev Dent. 2006;24:116-21.
32. Raphael SL, Gregory PJ. Parental awareness of the emergency management of avulsed teeth in children. Aust Dent J. 1990;35:130–3.
33. Prathyusha P, Harshini T, Haripriya B, Pramod IJ, Swathi K, Samyuktha CL. Knowledge and awareness regarding avulsion and its immediate treatment in school teachers in Bangalore City (South). J Int Oral Health. 2015;7:93–7.
34. Pujita C, Nuvvula S, Shilpa G, Nirmala S, Yamini V. Informative promotional outcome on school teachers’ knowledge about emergency management of dental trauma. J Conserv Dent. 2013;16:21–7.
35. Gurunathan D, Somasundaram S, Loo T. Knowledge and attitude of parents with regard to avulsed permanent tooth of their children and their emergency management-Chennai. J of Indian Soc of Pedod and Prev Dent. 2014;32:97. Available:https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-4388.130781.
Abstract View: 372 times
PDF Download: 200 times